Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How to pick paint colors

I have experienced choosing both good and bad paint colors in my home. I like the blue in my living room and the yellow in my kitchen. I like the cream in my bathroom and the beige in my hallway.

I do not care much for the colors in either of my bedrooms. I have lived with them because my loving husband painted for me when I was pregnant. But to be honest, the beige in the baby's room is too green and the color is too dark. And the yellow in my bedroom is too green and crisp. It looks good with my bedding and drapes, but not great with the dirty white ceiling or the beige rug, which has pink undertones.

I often get asked for help with picking colors, and I'm happy to take a stab at it. I think I have a few tricks up my sleeve to help narrow down the bad decisions, but I'm no expert. Here are links to help you make your own color choices. Of course, if you are friend or family, I'm still here to help!

Check out This Young House post on Picking the Perfect Paint Color
If you are more advanced, check out Colour me Happy's Insider Secrets to Testing and Selecting Paint Colour


And if you want a foolproof method, YOLO Colorhouse has poster sized (23 x 27 inches), real painted swatches you can purchase for $5.99. Just attach to the wall of choice (comes with removable tape backing) and make up your mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment