In this edition of ShopSmart (May 2009), there is an article called "Room for Improvement" that shows some design basics for decorating on the cheap. Right up my alley! The stylist used the homeowner's things and supplemented with items from stores like TJ Maxx, Pier 1, Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel. No object cost more than $24!
Here are the things you already own that can be used for decorating now:
- Books and magazines (grouped and stacked vertical or horizontal)
- Pillows and throws (for spots of color, pattern, texture)
- Art (for personality, emphasis, architectural dimension)
- Containers (bowls, vases, boxes)
- Things from nature (fresh flowers and fruit, topiaries, shells, etc)
- Decorative objects (statues, sculpture, candles, etc)